The University of Nebraska Kearney Library was built in 1963 and named after professor of English Calvin T. Ryan. An addition to the library was completed in 1981-82 that doubled its size. Study and classroom seating accommodates over 1,100 library users. Group study rooms, individual study carrels, photocopying and scanning facilities, two instructional computer labs, and a coffee shop and lounge are available. The Calvin T. Ryan Library is centrally located on the south-east end of campus just west of the bell tower.
In addition to library collections, offices, and services, the Calvin T. Ryan Library currently houses the Mitchell Communications Center and the Learning Commons.
Personnel: 26 (10 faculty, 3 professional staff, 13 support staff)
- Books: Over 210,000 print titles and over 250,000 print volumes. More than 40,000 e-book titles.
- Periodicals: Over 600 print subscriptions, and more than 120,000 periodical volumes. Online access to over 80,000 periodical titles.
- Online Databases: The library subscribes to more than 200 online databases and e-resources including Academic Search Premier, Academic OneFile, JSTOR, LexisNexis, and Ebooks on EBSCOhost.
- Other: The library has collections in other formats, including: microfiche, microfilm, compact discs, videotapes, DVDs, art prints, and maps.
- Special Collection: Contains 2,400 cataloged items, mostly books, concerning the history of Nebraska, the Great Plains, and the West.
- UNK Archives: A collection of materials produced by this institution dating back to 1905.
- United States Government Depository: The Calvin T. Ryan Library has been a selective U.S. Government Depository since 1962. The collection consists of items in print and micro-formats with access to thousands of government publications in online formats. The online collection grows by about 1000 documents per month.
- Nebraska State Government Depository: The Library is also a Nebraska State Depository with items in print, micro- and online formats.
- Over 80 computers are available to library users, including those in two computer labs and laptops circulated within Calvin T. Ryan Library.
- UNKSecure is available to UNK faculty, staff and students using their EASI credentials. Visitors and guests to the Calvin T. Ryan Library need to enquire at the circulation desk for wireless access.