Gifts and Donations Policy
The Calvin T. Ryan Library welcomes gifts of books, audiovisual materials, and periodicals for the Library's collections. Gifts from friends of the Library supplement the Library's purchase of materials, providing items otherwise unavailable.
To help inform donors as to what is an appropriate gift and to insure that gifts are properly placed in the library collection, the following procedures have been adopted:
- Gifts to the library may be accepted by the Dean of the Library and the Collection Development Librarian. Individuals planning to donate should email email@example.com or telephone the library at 308.865.8535.
- Donations being made specifically to the Library's Curriculum Collection are accepted by the Curriculum/Non-Book librarian. The telephone number: 308.865-8276
- Donations being made specifically to the Special Collections or the University Archives are accepted by the University Archivist. Telephone number: 308.865.8593
- The library staff reserves the right to turn down any donation. College textbooks, damaged or defaced materials, materials that do not contribute to the purpose of the library, some duplicates, or materials that cannot be accommodated suitably at the time, will not be accepted.
- The library reserves the right to dispose of any accepted materials as the library deems appropriate in accordance with the needs of the library. At the time the donation is made, donors may request that materials not useful to the library be returned. The library staff will decide where gift materials will be placed in the collection. Any restrictions requested by donors must be approved by the Dean of the Library at the time the gift is made.
- Materials accepted by the Library and added to the collections become the property of the Library and are subject to the policies and procedures that govern Library collections.
- Donors are asked to bring gifts to the library or have them sent. However, if it is impossible to bring the donation to the library, materials, from within the city of Kearney, will be picked up by library staff.
- Each donor will receive a letter from the Dean, the Curriculum Librarian or the Archivist acknowledging the gift.
- In accordance with the Statement on Appraisals of Gifts adopted by the Association of College and Research Libraries, the library as an interested party cannot make appraisals of gifts. The library will assist in the identification of a qualified appraiser. Acceptance of a gift does not mean the library endorses an appraisal.
- Donations may be publicized in library and university publications. A donor must indicate to the Dean, the Curriculum Librarian, or the Archivist if they wish the gift to remain anonymous.
Special Donation Guidelines
We are pleased to consider offers of unique or specialized collections that do not necessarily meet the standard guidelines above. In some cases, we may send a subject expert to your site to review a special collection. To discuss a donation that is of unique value, please contact:
Janet Wilke, Dean of the Calvin T. Ryan Library