Library Award & Scholarship
Calvin T. Ryan Library Award for Undergraduate Research
The Calvin T. Ryan Library Award for Undergraduate Research, in conjunction with the Office of Undergraduate Research & Creative Activity, recognizes and honors excellence in the use of library services, collections, and resources by undergraduate student researchers. A committee consisting of library and departmental faculty will determine the winner, who will be announced at the Student Research Day Award Ceremony. The prize is $100. All undergraduate exhibitors and presenters at Student Research Day, sponsored by the Office of Undergraduate Research, are eligible to apply for the award.
Submit application documents as an email attachment to Rochelle Krueger
Application deadline for 2018 has passed.
How to apply
To apply for this award, submit the following:
- A bibliography of all works cited and consulted for the project.
- A narrative of the research process, explaining how library resources (Research Guides, databases, indexes, etc.) were used for the project and specifying which Calvin T. Ryan Library services (research consultations, web tutorials, etc.) were used within the research process.
- Do not include research logs or copies of articles with the application.
Applicants will be judged by a panel of UNK library and departmental faculty in accordance with the Association of College and Research Libraries' Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education.
These criteria include demonstrating the ability to:
- Determine information needs to start research
- Effectively find information
- Critically evaluate information for relevancy
- Synthesize information
- Ethically use information
Past & Present Recipients
- 2018 - Shelby Hinrichs
- Screening Speech, Language, and Reading Abilities of Home-schooled Children
- Her Faculty Mentor is Dr. Whitney Schneider-Cline, Assistant Professor in the Department of Communication Disorders.
- 2017 - Kathrin Roberts
- The Use of Electropalatography and Traditional Articulation Therapy in Remediating Persistant Speech Sound Errors.
- Advisor: Dr. Whitney Schneider-Cline, Department of Communication Disorders
- 2016 - Shelby Stultz
- Developing Literature that Helps Improve Articulation of /r/ Sounds.
- Advisor: Dr. Diane Loeb, Department of Communication Disorders
- 2015 - Shaun Friedrichsen
- Accepting the Bitter Reality: an examination of the poetry of Stephen Crane.
- Advisor: Dr. Christie Maloyed, English Department
- 2014 - Ru Meng
- The Spatial Distribution of Earthquakes in China 1920 - 2013.
- Advisor: Dr. Vijendra Boken, Department of Geography & Earth Sciences
- 2013 - Sangeeta Boken
- Arranged versus Love Marriages: a comparison between the United States and India.
- Advisor: Dr. Toni Hill, Department of Family Studies & Interior Design
Florence M. Wager Scholarship Recipients
The scholarship has been established by Ms. Wagner’s daughter, Carolyn Ann Wagner Snyder, in honor of her mother. Both were graduates of Kearney State College/ University of Nebraska Kearney (KSC/UNK). During her undergraduate years at KSC, Ms. Snyder worked in the library and went on to obtain a graduate degree in Library Science from the University of Denver. She had a long career in academic library administration in Nebraska, Indiana and Illinois. In 2010, Ms. Snyder received a UNK Distinguished Alumni Award. The Scholarship provides $500 to a Nebraska high school graduate who is a student worker in the Calvin T. Ryan Library. The student must have at least a sophomore class rank and a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better.
|Award Year||Award Recipient||High School Where Recipient Graduated|
|2018/19||Shelby Hinrichs||Giltner High School|
|2017/18||Rose Hafer||Cody-Kilgore High School|
|2016/17||Sara Pardue||Scottsbluff High School|
|2015/16||Benjamin Dyer||Lincoln East High School|
|2014/15||Aaron Ohri||O’Neil St. Mary’s High School|
|2013/14||Shaun Friedrichsen||Fairbury High School|
|2012/13||Johnathan McDermott||Anselmo-Merna High School|
|2011/12||Shaun Friedrichsen||Fairbury High School|
|2010/11||Andrea Collinson||Doniphan-Trumbull High School|
|Ogallala High School|