University Special Collections and Archives
The University of Nebraska Kearney Special Collections and Archives are housed in the Alice Paine Room on the second floor of the Calvin T. Ryan Library.
The Special Collection is comprised of materials on select subject areas, such as the history of Nebraska, the Great Plains, and settlement of the West. For this Collection the Library is committed to assembling primary and secondary scholarly materials on specific topics that support UNK's curricular and research needs.
All materials in the Special Collection have been catalogued and can be identified using the "Search" box on the Library's home page. Most materials can be checked out for in-Library use in two-hour increments, and can be scanned or photocopied.
The University Archives are comprised of several collections of materials produced by the institution in the course of conducting its business. Materials date from as early as 1905, and include items as diverse as the deeds to the land the University occupies to the copper container used as the time capsule when the Administration Building was built. Materials are collected in all formats, including original papers and documents, publications, photographs, and audiotapes.
About 1700 items have been catalogued and can be identified using the "Search" box on the Library's home page. Most of the items have not been catalogued, however, but can be identified using one of the finding aids listed below.
Please note that some items have not been processed. If you cannot find what you need, please consult the Archives Librarian.
Finding aids are available for the following:
- Index to the Donald K. Briggs Collection - Photographs of virtually all activity at UNK during the period 1960-1990
- Correspondence - Office of the President (1905-1926) and Placement Bureau Files (teachers) - 1919 and 1920
- UNK Archives Index - See what is available in the library's Archives
The following items are also available online:
- Blue and Gold Yearbooks - PDF images of all yearbooks produced from 1908 - 1990
- Campus Buildings - Historical background information and images of buildings
- Antelope - Searchable online issues of the Antelope Newspaper from Fall 2009 to the present
- Antelope newspaper issues - PDF issues from Fall 2003 - today
- Antelope Index - Articles indexed from 1910 - Spring 2010
- Kearney State College 1905-1980: A History of the First Seventy-Five Years By Philip S. Holmgren, Ph.D.
- Nebraska Memories - A cooperative project to digitize Nebraska-related historical and cultural heritage materials by the Nebraska Library Commission
Generally, Archives materials must be used in the Alice Paine Room. Archives materials cannot be scanned or photocopied without permission from the Archives Librarian.
The University Special Collection and Archives are available to anyone with a need for them. However, access to and assistance with these materials is by appointment only. If you need more information, or would like to make an appointment, please contact one of the following librarians:
Greg Anderson, Archives Librarian
Susan Mueller, Coordinator for Collection Services
Ron Wirtz, Coordinator of User Services